July 22, 2020
News from the Home Front:
* With five weeks of in-person worship under our belts, our attendance numbers are holding steady.
* We are seeing good varieties of people.
* Most people are wearing masks coming in for worship and when leaving worship. A few are wearing masks throughout worship. We honor and respect the choices people make. Folks are being careful about low-touch/contact greeting before and after worship.
* No Covid-19 cases reported as a result of our return to in-person worship.
* Our live stream numbers remain consistent. This is an important part of connecting folks to the worshiping life of Covenant Church. If you are concerned about returning to in-person worship, you are not alone.
* While still in the heat of summer, my heart is focused on Advent, and turning the corner on this pandemic, and more of us worshiping together and getting ready for Christmas together. But regardless of what the future holds, Covenant Church will worship and serve and love each other and love our community.
Here's some insight from Tim Keller:
When I realize that through Jesus I'm already accepted, that changes my
motivation for righteous living. Now I don't obey God merely because
I have to in order to get things from Him. I obey also because I want to;
to please, know, and resemble the One who gave me a free salvation.
That's but a sampling of some of the points we'll touch on in our fall series on "Christian Apologetics." It's important to know what we believe and why. How do we conform our beliefs to God's Word? Whether in-person or online, we will be strengthening our grip on the essentials of our Christian faith. This series will resonate with those desiring to be stout-hearted and serious-minded people of faith.
Finally, this gem from Samuel Sey:
Christ didn't come to earth to rescue you from poverty and disease.
He didn't come to earth to rescue you from racism and injustices.
He came to earth to rescue you from sin and hell.
Don't let the prosperity gospel and social justice gospel distract you
from the real gospel.
With that in mind, on the third Sunday in August, I'll address the
prosperity gospel. What is it? Who are its proponents? And why is it a false
gospel? I'm looking forward to it…perhaps you will be too!
With Much Love and Affection,